Tuesday 26 February 2008

JDI

I have been feeling like a complete newby myself recently as I have been starting to work out how to create a newsletter for my business. Sorting out what technology to use (have you got any idea how many options there are?!), what to write and, not least, who to send it too have been time consuming and stretching in a way that I have not experienced for a while.

One of the big things I noticed was how much resistance I had to putting my first fledgling efforts out there for others to see. How much time I spent crafting and playing. How many times I decided to do a bit more ‘research’ rather than commit myself to actually publishing something. In the end I had to have a severe word with myself and click ‘send’ with my eye closed.

Fear of getting it wrong, striking the wrong note, or worrying about people sniggering at our feeble efforts (OK, maybe that one is just me) is a big problem when we are new to something.

But this also stops us developing our own voice in an organisation and getting feedback when we still have the flexibility to make changes. Who really cares if your first report was not the best. Better to learn that now than when you have been doing it the same way for a year.

If you strived for completion rather than perfection today, where would you just click ‘send’.

1 comment:

eazibee said...

wow. i completely identify with this! my experience with blogging has encouraged me though - jump in quickly with two feet, and then sort out the details later! you can improve as you go, and people actually really like it when you respond to their feedback i think. if you start 'perfect', how can you do that??! E